Thursday, January 8, 2009

January


January has been a busy month so far, or I guess I should say a busy week. Glenn and I started our New Year in true Japanese fashion and visited a few Shinto shrines and buddist temples in Shinjuku (an area of Tokyo). New Years is the most important holiday for the Japanese, as you can tell by some of the crowds at the shrines and temples.
The Japanese get a fortune at the shrine that tells them if they are going to have Very Good, Good, Regular or Bad luck for the year. If they like the fortune, they keep the small piece of paper, if they don't like the fortune, they tie it to a place on the shrine so that the Kami (the 8 million Shinto gods, seriously 8M) can take the bad luck away.

As a part of my AOB/ICR class this week, on Thursday we take a field trip in order to learn how to use the trains, schedules, prepaid cards, etc. Myself and two other girls decided to go to the Ueno Zoo which is just north of Tokyo. I think it is interesting to go to zoos in other countries because they have animals we don't see in the US. I've also never been to a zoo in winter, and I highly recommend it! The animals were much more active because they weren't trying to cool off in the shade all day. I saw a few animals closer than I have ever seen before.

Here is an Okapis, it looks like a Donkey/Zebra love chile to me. Glenn thought it was a photoshopped picture. It was a fun day considering I only met my two travel companions on Monday.

Today is my last day of class and I'll be able to go in on Monday and get my driver's license!

Tonight is a big Change of Command party. There are 5 skippers each putting in over $2000 for the tab. I think the entire airwing will be there, but who wouldn't for $10,000 worth of free booze! I think we'll be walking home tonight! :)
PS. Japan has a 0.03% Drunk Driving Law. Not .08 like the States. For some people, that's like a sip of a drink. If you drink, you walk or take the trains. At least the O Club is only a 15 minute walk away. Have a good weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Christene said...

What a funny looking animal! Hope you have a good time at the change of command!

Related Posts with Thumbnails