Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cruise Calendar

For the last 6 weeks or so I have been working on a massive craft project. It has taken over my dining room, but yesterday I finally finished it! I made a new VAW-115 cruise calendar. What is a cruise calendar you ask? When the guys leave for deployment, each month we send them calendar squares. The calendar square can consist of pictures, quotes, inside jokes, etc. written on a 6x6 piece of paper. Each spouse has a couple days of the month dedicated to his/her spouse on the ship as well as a few squares for those spouse-less sailors. Well these 6x6 squares have to be mounted/displayed in some manner so in comes the cruise calendar. I created a 7 foot x 8 foot calendar with clear plastic pockets for the calendar squares to be placed it. And because I know how boys are I created a travel case for it as well to prevent it from being destroyed while going to and from the boat. The calendar will be displayed in some manner in the Liberty Bell ready room aboard the USS George Washington. The green squares are velcro for the numbers since they'll have to be rearranged each month.
Here it is in all it's glory:

My favorite part:And for future reference- never make a travel case out of plastic. I thought turning that thing inside out after I sewed it was going to end me! My sewing machine sure got a work out this month!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

LOVE it!!! :) We made a new felt calendar every month... Love this!

Annie said...

Kelly, you've totally outdone yourself! That monster is amazing! I would like sewing machine lessons from you when mine gets here....

Related Posts with Thumbnails