** Update: I thought of a 10th item on Saturday morning at 8 am...you'll see...Everything is Japan is going well so far. I even slept til 6 am today which is better than the last two nights. I still don't have my luggage yet, which has my Vonage adapter in it so I haven't had a chance to call anyone yet. It was suppose to get here yesterday, which it didn't, so I'm going to call today when they open. I've met some of our neighbors and I am still getting the rest of the boxes unpacked and adjusted to being a housewife. I even made dinner last night.
This week's Tuesday 10... 10 things it is going to take awhile to get used to around our new house.
1. The plug in the bathroom has a cover. Random.

2. We don't really have a backyard since we live upstairs, we have a sideyard. It is fenced in, but you have to go out the front door, down the steps and around the corner. This is the unit behind us, you can see their side yard. I don't really know what I'm suppose to do with a sideyard. Also, it looks more like a cage than a yard.

3. All the floors are linoleum. We brought 2 big pieces of carpet for the living room and bedroom. The bedroom looks like it has wall to wall carpet now and the living room has a large area rug, but the rest is linoleum. Stella is not a huge fan quite yet.

4. These are our house keys and storage room keys. They look like big dog tags.

5. The keys go in a slot where the arrow is on the round knob. You turn the back half of this knob and it turns the deadbolt. Apparently they keys are magnetized and that is how each key is unique.

6. 3 phones. We have 3 separate phones now. Glenn has a cell phone. We have a DSN number for onbase and local Japan calls and we have our vonage phone (well we will soon) for calls to and from the states. I guess it will be 4 when/if I get a cell phone too.
7. Every room has it's own thermostat so supposedly you only heat/cool the room you are in.

8. Often time when I open a website it looks like this. Fine for websites I have used in the past, but sometimes I have to wander around til I find the elusive "English" button.

9. Trash. We have to separate our trash into two different cans. Burnable and Non-Burnable/Recyclable. I have a chart above our trashcan cause I can never seem to remember which goes where.
10. The music. At precisely 8 am everyday the National anthem is played followed by the Japanese national anthem. At sunset (I think), the revelry is played and at 10 pm, Taps is played. Or that might be vice versa, but either way. And when I mean played, I mean pumped through the loud speaker system base wide. During the anthems you are suppose to stop walking, pull over, etc for the duration. Have a good weekend!
3 comments:
Hey Kelly, this is Annalisa S. I've been stalking y--I mean, reading your blog since I saw the link on Facebook a while back, but I am finally inspired to leave behind my Internet lurkdom. Why? Because you have the same kind of keys my college residence halls did before they got all fancy-pants with RFID chips in our ID cards for building entry. I hadn't seen such a thing before or since, so you just provided me with a nostalgia mini-trip. (What a silly reason for me to finally say, "Hi, I like reading your blog and hearing what you're up to!")
In any case, I'm glad you made it over there and that you're getting settled and all that exciting stuff. :-)
How interesting! Glad you are liking it over there so far!
Oh My goodness! What a transition! Just think of the stories you will have to tell!
Have you learned any Japanese yet?
Tiff
Post a Comment