Wednesday, April 11, 2012

House happenings

Two weekends ago we finally got around to using that old door that I posted a couple months ago. We found it in the back room of a thrift store down the street. I bought it with the intention of making a headboard so I bought a door that was at least 60" wide (for our queen) and that had the panels space such that I could cut it around 60" and it would be symmetrical.

We scraped and sanded the old paint which came off pretty easy along the edge, but on the panels it stuck pretty well so we just left it.  Then we gave it a good sand again and then started building.
I didn't a little research online, put a few of those together with the tools available and this is what we came up with.
Originally I thought to use a 4x4 for the posts but without a table saw it was too difficult to make notches. We decided to do 2 1x4s on each end a 1x6 on top and a little trim underneath. We found an old 2x2 in the yard and put that at the bottom to reinforce the 1x4s. I filled all the holes and a few gaps in the trip piece with wood putty, sanded again and primed and painted it!
I used the leftover paint from the china cabinet in the bathroom so it is Benjamin Moore impervo paint in white dove.We attached it to the bed frame with 3 1/2" bolts with a few nuts and washers.
Hopefully the pictures explain a little more clearly. I make the plan and Glenn does most of the executing. I think we did pretty well. What do you think?
 The door cost us $30 and the wood pieces cost about $30 and the putty and paint were leftovers. A lot cheaper than the $500 headboards I was looking at online! I told Glenn that now I want a matching foot board, but I think I'll wait a few months before I ask him to make me something else.

3 comments:

Leica said...

Wow!!! That looks like a $500 headboard! You need to submit this stuff to the Nate Berkus show's House Proud segment!

Unknown said...

I'm a friend of Jen's and a blog stalker - I had to comment - that is a great project and looks beautiful - great inspiration!!

Annie said...

This seriously looks so awesome. We just ordered a new bed, but upgraded to a King. Not sure that it would work for a King. What do you think?

It looks like something from Restoration or Pottery Barn!

Related Posts with Thumbnails