Sunday, February 1, 2009

February and Happy Birthday Dad!

It's hard to believe that I've been here for almost 2 months already. I guess it will be 2 months next Monday. Time has really flown by for the most part. People here always say these times are the easiest because Glenn is home and the ship isn't going anywhere. It's a nice feeling to have Glenn home but of course I know deployment is looming over our heads for the rest of the year. We have a Spouse's club meeting on Thursday where we are going to find out dates of the departure as well as all of their port calls (subject to change of course) and I'm super excited. I plan on attending as many of the port calls as I can. From the rumors I have heard, this includes Australia, Singapore, maybe Hong Kong, Guam and maybe Malaysia. We'll find out more officially soon though!

I think what has made the transition here the easiest is the squadron that we joined. They are a great group of people and Glenn and I have found great friends in our neighbors, Chris and Gizelle. They have been beyond helpful in helping us become accustomed to our new country and become great friends in the process.

Japan is an interesting country and I think America has a lot to learn from our hosts over here. They are a much more professional and efficient society. It doesn't matter what your job is here, you do it with passion and professionalism and to the best of your ability. Even if you are the guy who makes burgers at MacuDonaldu's :) you take pride in that burger. Even the guys who wave the lightsticks to help you find your way in the parking lot. They wave those lightwands with gusto. Seriously, they are proud of the jobs they have. I think Americans could learn a little from that.

I'm also amazed and how bilingual this country is. English is their second official language, but it is spoken by far more people than a single second language in America. Foreign language education really should start younger.

I think Glenn and I are really going to like it in Japan. We hope more of our friends will be stationed out here so they can see what a great country it is. We found out that the Moore's are coming here in early 2009 but will be leaving by December. They happen to be joining a squadron that is trasitioning to super hornets so they'll be moving to LaMoore, CA and a squadron from there will be coming to Japan. What a bummer, but at least they'll get 9 months out here and 9 months of traveling!

Also, I wanted to wish my dad a Happy Birthday. He is down in Florida this week with his buddies for their "Boot Camp Tennis". Imagine a bunch of middle-aged men on spring break, but playing tennis everyday and I think you'll get the general idea. They always sound like they have a good time. My dad turned 56 today and I don't think he's ever look better. Have a good one, Dad! I love you! (I guess it's still another 7 hours til your birthday in Florida, p.s.)

1 comment:

Dave said...

P.S. Dad turned 56 this year, he was born in '53.

Related Posts with Thumbnails