Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Japanese Variety Show

Every couple of months, the AOSA/AWA luncheons occur. I've written about them in the past, like the Kimono Luncheon. In December, AWA hosted a comedy/variety show luncheon. In Japanese, this is called a Yose. Yose is a variety theater that shows popular entertainment. Typically it is just rakugo (comic storytelling) but it can also include many different types of performers.

The first performer was Mr. Ssaiga Katsura which was a narrative story. He called himself a sit-down comedian. :)

He told a funny story and acted out all the characters voices and used just a fan and a towel for his props. He spoke English so everyone could enjoy his performance.

The second performer was a balancing act. He balanced all sorts of things on his face and body. It was pretty impressive. Here he is spinning the umbrella and throwing and catching a ball.
The third performer was a mime and "balloon" artist. Except, instead of balloons he used this plastic wire that he made shapes and things out of. I got pulled up on stage during this part so I don't have any pictures of him. Lots of people left during his performance though- I had no idea people were afraid of mimes! I thought it was just clowns.

Here is my lunch table. Thanks for a fun afternoon ladies. The AWA ladies always do such an impressive job, just like I said about the Mochi pounding event. The Japanese don't do anything unless it's 110%!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails