I arrived in Fukui on Thursday night and was greeted by Hillary and her friend Kim. It takes about 4- 4.5 hours and 4 trains to get to Hillary's. Two somewhat local trains, the bullet train and another limited express train to her town. It probably wouldn't have seemed so long if I hadn't arrived to the bullet train 90 minutes early because I misread my ticket. Oops. Oh well, Stella got to walk around Shin-Yokohama station and have dinner.
Hillary lives in a small but very cute apartment that is only about a 5 minute walk to the station. The only difference between my house and her house- well a lot of things, but most noticeably- the temperature! Fukui is in the mountains and is still getting snow occasionally, but Japanese homes don't have insulation! That means when it's cold outside, it's cold inside! When we were home, we had her heater running, but when we were gone, we had to leave an electric blanket on just so Stella wouldn't freeze! For example, Hillary said her olive oil in her kitchen FROZE over the winter. WTF!
On Friday, the weather started out snowing, then turned in to an all day rain storm. Not really ideal weather for sightseeing so we headed over to her friends' apartments. Kim and Tessa live in the same building so it's very convenient! We lounged most of the day and watched Gossip Girl and the Office. For dinner, we went to Kim (and boyfriend Rob's) apartment upstairs to make sushi!
I thought it turned out pretty well! At least it tasted good!
I love that even though I only see Hil every 6, 12 or 18 months, it's still the same friendship. I wish she lived closer so we could see each other more often!
Easy Grilled Pesto Chicken Wings
2 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment