Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tray Hack

I bought the Skala tray from IKEA when I went there a few weeks ago. I thought IKEA would be the perfect pick-me-up after Glenn left again on deployment. Who doesn't love IKEA? Just me? That's fine. I love wandering the room setups and imagining the house that Glenn and I hope to own someday. So many options and at prices I can actually afford unlike most Japanese home stores.

I liked the design of the tray, but I thought it was a little boring and I didn't think the finish was very durable. I often eat at the coffee table especially when Glenn is gone so I thought a tray would be useful for carrying my bowl of cereal dinner and glass of wine.

We have an entire drawer full of travel brochures, maps, tickets stubs and all sorts of Japanese memorabilia. I thought it would be fun to use all of this to dress up the plain tray.

Here is the entire tray and an up close shot. 
I used Modge Podge to glue down the paper scraps and then 5 coats of the Podge on top. Waiting for it to dry between each layer. I had high gloss Modge Podge so it has a glossy finish. I hope we have it for a long time and it reminds us of our time here.

3 comments:

Leica said...

That's pretty awesome, Kelly! I'm jealous that you have the creativity and talent to just MAKE the things I would probably just buy--not that you can buy something this unique!

Annie said...

Love it! And now you don't have a stack of brochures sitting around...like the pile i'm staring at right now, or how about the folder of japanese brochures.... oiy. It's super cute.

marigirl said...

Kelly, i am going to shamelessly copy this. SO CUTE! great idea :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails