Saturday, October 23, 2010

Thailand: Day 4

My last day with Glenn. Sad. Why do port calls go by so fast? We started the day with breakfast at the hotel. They had eggs. Exciting. I love when Asian countries actually have western-ish breakfasts. Rice and fish for breakfast is something I don't think I'll ever learn to adapt too. Give me some bacon and eggs!

So yeah, we had breakfast and then we walked down the street to the main road to catch a baht-bus. We learned that if you get a driver from the hotel they charge you pretty much 500 Baht ($18) but if you catch a baht-bus, you can ride as far as they are going for 20 baht (75 cents). So we caught a baht-bus and Glenn managed to not fall off the back (since the seats were full, he had to stand and hold on to a railing overhead), we pressed the doorbell when we saw our destination and hopped off and paid. Success, $15 in my pocket!
Our destination: the floating market. So it's a knock-off of the real floating market near Bangkok, but fun souvenirs to be found anyway. I always have to come back from vacation with gifts for my students. It's a Japanese thing for sure. Gifts for everyone! I guess cause they couldn't go? A small trinket or candy will do, but it's polite to bring back something.

We wandered, we shopped, we sweated, we attempted to order some food, we sweated some more. This was the only really hot day Glenn and I had in Thailand. While we were waiting for our food, Glenn was talking about lounging in the pool and relaxing back at the hotel before he had to depart for the bus to take him to the ship.

"I really wanna ride an elephant," I blurted out knowing that it was the opposite of what Glenn wanted to do at that moment. "I'm sorry, I can't come to Thailand and not ride an elephant!"

"Really? I wish you had mentioned this earlier."
"I know! I'm sorry, I did, kinda, not really. Can we ride an elephant."

Being the wonderful husband that he is, he made my wish come true!

We attempted to get a ride from a taxi at the market, but they didn't really seem to know where we were talking about. We decided to head back to the hotel first, I made some phone calls and got an Elephant Village driver to come pick us up! Ya ta!

We even had some time for lounging before they picked us up.

Elephants! I think Glenn enjoyed himself feeding the elephants bananas even though he was watching his watch to make sure we would be back in time. We fed them, we rode one for an hour (30 minute would have sufficed) and we pet the elephants! :)




 


Thanks Mr! We made it back in time to pack (quickly) Glenn up and order some room service. Relaxing would have been wonderful too, but all I can ever think about on the last night is saying goodbye in a few hours. Maybe staying busy until the last minute is the way to go? Miss you so much, Mr!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails