Some days while mom and dad were here we didn't even eat lunch, I just made them try every food stand and street food we could find. I found some interesting things for them to try but figured they couldn't just come to Japan and only try sushi!

In Yokohama before the baseball game we tried steam buns (I don't know the Chinese name) in Chinatown. They are big puffy doughy things filled with meat and veggies. I also tried "bubble tea" which was mango juice with tapioca balls in the bottom. Both are really good!

In Asakusa we tried custard and cholocate flavored
taiyaki (fish shaped sandwich cakes). They are awesome! They have benches in front of the window so you can watch them make the taiyaki.

Similar, but not so awesome are the something-yaki cakes that are just like the fish ones, but smaller and filled with sweet red bean paste. The Japanese like to put azuki bean paste in a lot of their sweets and I just can't get on board. I've tried it a ton of times and it is just not so great, but most people love it!

Next was takoyaki (grilled octopus balls). Not really balls for those of you whose minds went there, but round fritter like foods with octopus pieces inside. I like them!

Lastly a little ice cream for dessert. Mom was adventurous and tried the purple sweet potato ice cream which I am a fan of. (Side note: tomato ice cream = frozen ketchup). I'm glad mom and dad were adventurous in all the foods that they tried. The only fail of the week was the dried ray fin. Not a surprise there!
1 comment:
The Chinese steamed buns are called char siu bao and are one of my favorite things ever! They said they also tried what I call "Chinese donuts" but are really deep fried sesame balls filled with bean paste.
Post a Comment