Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What's for Dinner? Shredded Beef Tacos

This meal is probably one of Glenn's favorites, but is also one of the easiest. Glenn could also eat tacos/burritos/etc for every meal of everyday though. I start with a 4 (ish) lb beef roast, a jar of salsa and a can of green chilies. Put them all in the crock pot covering the roast with the salsa and chilies. Depending on how long I am going to cook the roast, I also add 1/2 a glass of water. If you cook the roast on high aka faster, you may not need the water. I usually cook the roast for about 6 hours on low. (I forgot to take a picture beforehand)

After about 5 hours, remove the roast and shred the meat and then return it to the liquid.
Then let the meat simmer for about another hour to soak up more sauce.
After it simmers for awhile longer, we pull the meat out and then pour the liquid in to a pot (measuring it first) and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, we add rice (depending on how much liquid you have). You get a main dish and side dish out of most of the same ingredients. Note: if I could the meat for too long (like last time when I cooked it for 8 hours), you may not have enough liquid remaining to make the rice too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails