Dave and Jen arrived to Tokyo International Airport (which they discovered was named Narita after a stressful few seconds at the check-in counter in Rochester when they thought they bought tickets to the wrong place :) ) on Wednesday February 17th. It's going to take me a couple weeks to get through our whole trip so I figure I should insert a date here or there.

Since Glenn was in California for training, I had to make the drive to Narita by myself for the first time. I was stressing about it, but I made it without any wrong turns and was waiting for them right outside of customs- yay me! We made the drive back without any complications and went to one of my favorite local restaurants, Dohtonbori. This restaurant is an okonomiyaki restaurant where you cook a cabbage, egg and other ingredient "pancake" on a small griddle at your table. They let me do most of the cooking.
Dave also discovered the joys of ordering food in Japan where the menu is not translated in to English. He ordered what he thought was a beer, but it came with a beer and a glass half full of shochu (a rice vodka type alcohol) and a stir stick. I guess you mix them together!
Jen tested my restaurant-picking skills this week since she doesn't eat fish, but I think we were very successful on her first night in town!
We called it a pretty early night since they were jet-lagged and we were waking up at 4:30 am to catch a very eary shinkansen ride to Kyoto. Jen was up at 3:30 am though. No need for an alarm when you are jet-lagged!
No comments:
Post a Comment