Monday, January 2, 2012

Towel Hooks

These hooks used to hang next to our coat closet and held our purses and jackets, but in this house we didn't really have a place for all 3 of them. I really like them and they are surprisingly sturdy for being constructed at Hobby Lobby, but they weren't the right color for the bathroom where I was planning to use them now.
I bought a can of Lagoon colored spray paint from Home Depot as well as a jar of Metallic Glaze in Black coffee by Martha.
I liked the aged look of the red hooks so I rubbed the glaze on with a rag and then wiped more on and off til I liked it.

Then I repeated the entire process over again. Seriously. I didn't realize how easily the paint would scratch off of the metal surface so I had a few nicks where red paint was showing through after handling them a few times. 
So I repainted them blue. Reapplied the glaze and then applied 3 coats of Polycrylic spray sealant. Now hopefully they will be a little more resistant!
I think they look pretty good in the bathroom and they match my new hand towels pretty closely! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails