Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Fan!!!!

The exclamation points are very necessary. There may have been jumping up and down at the completion of this project. We installed a ceiling fan in the master bedroom! Glenn and I have never attempted any electrical work before and my hubby sure impressed me with his skills!
Even more impressive in my world, a switch! We have three ceiling lights in our master bedroom and they are all connected to one switch. Which was fine, but we didn't want to go to sleep at night with the fan on AND the lights on which is what we would have had to do.
Our first step was to do a little research. Glenn busted out his Home Depot Home Improvement 1-2-3 book which was a Christmas present from my Dad. It was very useful. We made a list of what we needed: romex wire, a jab saw, a switch, switch plate, junction box, etc. Amazingly, we got everything on the first and only trip. Love when that happens.

Our first step was to turn off the power, of course, and then unhook the lights. Our original plan was to hang the fan over the bed since it was the light closest to the wall with the access panel. We figured we could get behind the wall and it would make wiring everything so much easier. Once we unhooked the lights though, we realized there were two wires where we thought there would be just one. Meaning what we thought was light #3 in the series of 3 was actually #2. Since we still wanted #3 to work, we had to switch up the location. We put the fan over by the windows which is actually more symmetrical so I'm happy.
We connected the wire that went to the fan to a new piece of wire that we ran across the ceiling and down the wall to our switch and the outlet where we would be getting power.
We thought we would be able to get away with one hole in the ceiling, in the closet, but even with a fish tape, we ran in to trouble getting the new wire over the joist. There was too much insulation in the way. So we just a second hole (not counting the one that the light would cover). Luckily, we didn't have to cut another hole to feed the wire down in to the wall. There was already a wire running from the light to the outlet so we could fit our wire in the same hole in the stud. Phew. I was already worried about repairing holes in our plaster textured ceiling. You can see the texture pretty well in these pics. I don't think they sell this in one of those aerosol cans.
Another piece of wire from out switch hole down to the outlet and the wiring was done.
Lastly, we disconnected the fan from the dining room and hauled it upstairs. We had three downstairs between the living/dining rooms. We also stole the junction box since we needed a shallower size box that we had not purchased, but a little switcheroo and we were good. Did I say yet, I'm impressed with my hubby's skills?
The last, and worst part is the patching. I've still got another bit of sanding to do and then paint, but I'm surprised how well it is turning out. You'll always be able to tell a bit, but since we saved the piece we cut out, the texture at least matches a little.
                                        
I still have another layer of spackle to sand and then paint, but I don't think it is too bad. I used a few scrap pieces of wood to brace the hole and then screwed the piece that we saved in to that. I did the same in the closet. Not to shabby, as my dad would say. I know it won't disappear, but I'm happy with it so far. I'll have to take a picture once the paint dries.

The chandelier from my brother's house is in the mail, headed our way. I'm thinking a little spray paint, maybe some small shades and it is going to look great in our dining room! Stay tuned for that.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails