Over a month ago, Glenn and I had a patio installed in our backyard. I know! I'm sorry loyal blog readers, I kept you in the dark. Mostly because the process took an entire week, so it took me awhile to take all the picutres, but I still haven't taken the final picture. We picked up new patio furniture from Craigslist last night so hopefully that will be coming soon. A $1000 teak Home Depot set for $350. Success.
We decided on a stamped concrete patio because 1) faster and cheaper to have installed than pavers and 2) it looks nicer than just plain concrete. First, I laid the hose out on the ground in the pattern that I like and the company came out and spray painted the design.
Next, they had to dig out part of the yard to make sure the water flowed in the right direction. We ran in to a few mysteries in the yard, like this pipe that Glenn had to cut out. I'm pretty sure we have an old oil tank burried in our yard. Yikes, I don't want to think about having to take that out. Next, they put up a border to hold the concrete.
We left a space next to the stairs so that I could plant some flowers and we plan on putting up a lattice to cover up the space under the stairs. Probably a flowering vine so that it eventually gets covered up. The patio goes along the entire back of the house from this point on. Since we have a door to access the basement, we wanted the patio to be located here. The guys building the patio had hopes of using their heavy machinery to dig out the ground, but they didn't have any luck. Even with the fence panels down, the center post wouldn't come out and their machines wouldn't fit.
The first step, which I don't have any pictures of, is to pour the colored concrete. We chose a reddish-orange to match the brick on the house. Next, they put a grey powder on top and used a rubber stamp to press the design it. We chose an ashlar brick pattern. It looks a little like slate too which we have on the front walkway. Next they let it set overnight and then come back and power wash it so that they grey only remains in the 'grout lines' and indents.
The grey powder unfortunately, is pretty messy, so I still have a few finger prints to wash off the back of the house!
The last step after power washing is to seal the color and cement. It really brings out the colors of the cement.








2 comments:
Nice patio set! You got an excellent deal!!!
Oh - so fun! I love it.
Post a Comment