Over the weekend, Glenn and I went on an MWR tour to Shizuoka Prefecture. Shizuoka is west of here and south of Mt. Fuji on the Izu peninsula. Because of the abundance of coastline, this is a popular tourist destination for the beaches and onsens. It took about 3 hours to drive there by bus and our first destination was orange picking!
They were technically more like tangerines or clementines. In Japanese they are called mikan and pikan. The mikans are smaller than pikans, but Glenn and I both liked the taste of the pikans better. We were allowed to pick and eat as many as we wanted and then we had a bag that we could collect some in and pay for later (by weight). Glenn and I left with about a dozen oranges which cost us about $7, but another group on the bus bought about $60 worth. What are you going to do with that many oranges?!
I don't think going on a tour was really what Glenn wanted to do all day Sunday, but he seemed to enjoy picking the oranges. It didn't hurt that it was a beautiful day and we sat in the sun for awhile enjoying the view of the ocean.
The next stop was Kawazu-nana daru. This area of Shizuoka is famous for it's waterfalls. We hiked for about an hour and a half and enjoyed the 7 waterfalls.

#5

Next to #1

Making a wish. For $1, I tried to toss 3 rocks in to the "basket" on the top of the rocks. They say my wish will come true if I get one inside. I guess we won't be winning the lottery...

Our last stop on the tour was to Mt. Omuro. This mountain is actually a volcano with a giant crater on the top. What is the giant crater used for now? Archery practice of course. To get to the top we took a ski lift for about 5 minutes. About 10 yards from the top, a little camera talks to you and takes your picture (like on a roller coaster) and by the time you get to the top 30 seconds later, the picture is already printed and ready to purchase (for $10!)! These Japanese are crazy fast! Glenn and I laughed at times because we could touch the grass with our feet from the ski lift. At other times, they actually had to dig a trench so your chair wouldn't hit the ground, but I'm glad we weren't hiking up this steep hill!
After a hike around the top of the crater, we loaded up the bus and headed home. It was a great tour!
No comments:
Post a Comment