Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tim & Cheryl Visit Japan - Skiing in Nagano

Now that all the baby business is over (for a bit, still 1 more to go), I can tell you about our second group of visitors- Glenn's parents! Tim and Cheryl got in on Thursday night and on Friday we headed to Nagano prefecture to go skiing on the squadron's annual ski trip. This year we stayed at a new place and tried out some new mountains.

We got to Nagano around dinner time and tried out a soba (buckwheat noodles) restaurant since Nagano is famous for it's soba. It was great, but I think Cheryl needs some more practice with her chopsticks! :) Also, I don't understand why most Japanese homes don't have dishwashers because they use an excessive number of dishes with every meal.

The parents didn't last too long the first few nights they were here because of the jet lag, but they were up bright and early for breakfast and skiing. We skied at Hakuba 47 the first day. It's been awhile since I've been skiing (last February) and I forgot all the muscles that skiing uses! Next year, a helmet is a must!



The good thing was Hakuba had some great snow. We even had to put the snow chains on the van on the way up (of course by "we" I mean Glenn and Tim, someone had to eat the Twizlers and supervise). Saturday's skiing had some great powder snow. Most places had 2-3 meters of snow!

Tim and Cheryl got to experience ordering lunch from a vending machine. The food doesn't come from a machine, but you order and get get tickets from a machine. I just picked something called "Big Naan" and this is what I got-

60 cm of bread, 100 cm of hot dog with salad, peppers and marinara sauce on top? Why not!

After about 5 or 6 hours of skiing for two days, we were beat! I know how you feel Cheryl. We drove back home on Sunday night with a few others who needed to be back to work on Monday. A great first few days in Japan with the in-laws!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Looks like you had a great time! The giant hot dog thing is super funny. Was it good?

Related Posts with Thumbnails