Friday, March 11, 2011

8.9 Earthquake!

What a crazy afternoon we just had! I was sitting at the computer watching Desperate Housewives on the computer when I felt the earthquake start. This is probably the 10th earthquake we've had while we've been in Japan, but only the 4th or 5th that I've felt. I was holding Stella and waiting the 20-30 seconds they usually last, but after 30 seconds it still wasn't stopping! I had time to put the leash on Stella and get out of the house while it was still going on. I think it lasted 2-3 minutes. Outside I could see the cars shaking, the trees swaying and poor Stella staying low to the ground. The earthquake was a magnitude 5.5 here from what I've heard. What a crazy sea sickness type feeling. Here's video of the mini mart a few miles away at Camp Zama. A friend was at the mini mart on base here and they made them evacuate. Not surprising!

I came back inside to find a few things on the floor and a broken picture frame that fell off the top of the bookcase. Nothing major. I'm glad our wine glasses are in a cabinet with a door! I'm glad I ran outside though, the picture from was right next to were I was sitting!

Times like this are when I love facebook and the immediacy of it. Several friends were stuck in traffic or in another city. When the earthquakes happen, the trains shutdown obviously. Which means, traffic stops because you can't cross the tracks. Several friends posted messages to have neighbors check on their dogs. Others were stuck out in town and are walking home and can now get picked up! Facebook is fabulous (note: only if you have an iPhone...).

A few of us turned to the Japanese News Channel where they were posting live video of the tsunamis and damage closer to the epicenter. It's crazy what a little shaking can do. In some places there were 8-10 meter tsunami waves! Hopefully no one was injured. Over the next hour, we had 2 or 3 more aftershocks. A couple small and another big one.
Of course, as is life in the Navy, when something crazy happens, your husband is unreachable. Glenn was in an airplane flying so he probably didn't even know it happened, but he's coming back to an evacuated hangar. :) Stella and I are safe and sound.

I just talked to Glenn and he said he saw many buildings in Tokyo on fire!

What a day!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails