Sunday, March 20, 2011

My baby

 As if this week wasn't crazy enough, Stella got attacked by two Huskies this afternoon. A friend of a friend was on vacation during the earthquake and subsequent evacuation. She decided to stay in Hawaii since we were evacuating. That was fine until the kennel on base decided to close. Another friend with two dogs of her own, picked them up from the kennel, but had no where to take them. She asked if she could use our side yard and I said that was fine, as long as she fed and walked them. They've lived in our side yard for 2 days now and Stella will growl and bark at them through the fence, but they had never been in contact with eachother.

I walked by this afternoon and saw there water was empty and tried to sneak in to grab it. Well they got around me and Stella had come back down the stairs from where I had sent her up. The dogs lunged after her neck and I had to pry their teeth off of her. I ended up huddled in a ball protecting Stella as they kept trying to get at her. Including from behind me between my legs. The neighbors her my screams and came out and got the two dogs in the yard and when I got up, I was covered in blood, both Stella's and my own. I just have a few cuts and bruises on my hand. Stella has 7 puncture wounds on her back, stomach, shoulder and butt.

A friend drove me an off base vet that I have been to before. Luckily, the English speaking vet was there and got her cleaned up and bandaged. I can't get the American vets to see her because they are busy with the evacuation business. I have to take her back to the Japanese vet tomorrow (with my friend Yuki to translate) for her to get stitches. Just for 2 of the 7 wounds. She wouldn't eat any more than one treat when we got home, but she seems to be sleeping now.
I'm worried about the general anesthesia that they will give her tomorrow and she has to spend the night at the vet alone. She doesn't seem to be in too much pain, but I'm so worried about her.

In better news, the reactors seem to be getting under control:
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/79808.html

7 comments:

Jen said...

Poor Stella! How scary! Thank goodness you were there to protect her! Hope she gets well soon!

Unknown said...

Poor Stella bear! And you! Hope that you both are okay!!!

Annie P said...

Oh my gosh. How scary! I'm sorry, Kelly. I hope that Stella is feeling better and will be back to her old self soon. (Where's your monkey, Stella!?)

Brian said...

OMG!!! That is horrible! Like you said "As if things were bad enough," I guess when it rains it pours. I end up in tears every time I read your blog, I feel good news has to be on its way!! I will be thinking of you and little Stella bug!!

Brian said...

that was Sarah by the way :)

The Tweets said...

Oh my goodness! Stella Baby!! Bowser and I are so worried about Bowser's girlfriend! We are sending her loving, healing thoughts! To you too! Take care of your cuts too! We miss you all!

ksmith said...

kelly, i just got off the phone with hillary snd she told me about Stella baby. I'm SO SO SO sorry. I don't know what I'd do. You're such a great mama. I'm thinking about you, Glenn and Stella (and Hillary of course) all the time. Be safe. xoxo. Kris

Related Posts with Thumbnails