Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Some Levity & More Updates

Some friends and I went shopping at H&M a few months ago, but then the girl with the pictures on her camera moved. Now she is settled in Maryland and look what shows up in my inbox! Apparently jumpers are in this spring....and leopard print. I think I promised Ann I wouldn't post this, but seriously Ann, you can rock that mini dress. At least I didn't put it on FB.
I ventured off base yesterday to teach the second of my English classes for the week. The rest were all canceled because of the earthquake. I decided to take the train (even though I typically drive) because of the gas shortages and what I had heard about terrible traffic. I left with plenty of time to spare to take the local train (no express trains are available) and walk to my class. I made it there with no trouble. We had a small class since many people couldn't make it. It was nice to chat with everyone and make sure they and there families were safe. After class the teacher that I teach with, dropped me off at the station and I walked towards the Odakyu line where the train employees were standing in front of the gates, no trains, no schedule. Ugh. I looked around for the signs explaining what was going on...only in Japanese.

Me: "Excuse me, do you speak English?"
Train Guy: "Yes, a little"
Me: "Can you tell me what is happening?"
TG: "Uhhh...4 days ago, we had big earthquake now and now....uhhh denki, nan desu ka?"
Me: "Yes, I know. What time will the trains start?"
TG: "Around 6:00"

Since it was only 4:00 at the time, I quickly called Mayumi back to come pick me up. She graciously drove me the 45 minutes back home (in very little traffic). The only long lines of cars we saw were in line for the gas stations. Some of the lines were 20-30 cars deep!

So if you plan on going anywhere for the next couple weeks, I would drive! The trains are unpredictable right now with the power outages. Speaking of which, we're suppose to have another one in 2 hours.

Too bad I can't go shopping for more leopard print during the power outage. Also, the radiation levels on Atsugi base are back down to zero although that didn't stop one of the pilots in Glenn's squadron from getting his boots confiscated for having radiation levels that were too high. I guess he drove home in his socks!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails