The evacuation is proceeding on base very very slowly. The first flight went out today and it looks like only about 150 people or so are getting out each day. They've now started booking flights on commercial planes via Tokyo's airport for the upcoming days.
I haven't gone in yet with my paperwork to push that process through, not sure if/when I will. Sounds like most of our squadron is gone or leaving in the upcoming days. There are just a few of us singletons left. I'm hesitating leaving for several reasons. 1. I don't want to leave Stella in the States. Since her FAVN blood test only lasts 2 years, it is expired and I would have to go through the whole month long process again or more likely, have to leave her behind. 2. I'm not ready to leave Japan yet. 3. I don't want to leave Japan on these terms and abandon all my friends and students.
I know that if I leave, I would most likely return in a month or less. I'm hoping at least, I'm not sure if I would be back at all. Our orders are only being written for 30 days currently. I've been bored for the last week and a half with no classes though. What am I suppose to do in America for a month? :) More projects I suppose. I got good at finding projects when I lived with my parents before moving to Japan.
I'm teaching two of my classes tomorrow, thank goodness, despite the two scheduled power outages. We are suppose to loose power from 9:20-13:10 and from 16:50-20:40. I should probably be thinking about what I'm going to cook for dinner tomorrow. Or serve my students. No coffee maker...
The last few days have been slow and uneventful. Checking facebook and email every 30 minutes seeing what the latest and greatest update is on the current situation.
Today's update:
110321@1810 - Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Japan directed that Potassium Iodide (KI) be available for pick-up today for all DoD personnel and dependents currently located at Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Ikego Housing Detachment, Negishi Housing Detachment, and Naval Air Facility Atsugi.
- Do not take until notified!
- There is enough Potassium Iodide in Japan for all SOFA personnel.
- There will be mass public notification if you need to take Potassium Iodide.
- If notified to take Potassium Iodide, take recommended dosage only!
DoD personnel and their families are asked to proceed in an orderly manner to one of four distribution points to receive their individual allotment in case a need was identified.
I've got my 5 KI pills ready to go.
I finished the book I'm reading, "Collabortive Consumption", and got the chance to talk with Cheryl and my friend Ali. The only benefit to all the earthquake drama and Stella attack was that I've heard from more family and friends in the last two weeks than in the last 6 months.
I guess I'll see what tomorrow brings and if my category is ever called. I guess I'll finally have to make a decision at that point if I will stay or go. Until then, life continues. The schools on base are even open tomorrow.
Time for bed. Good night.
Easy Grilled Pesto Chicken Wings
2 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment