Wednesday, May 6, 2009

This is strange...

I'm working on filling out my "Primary Next of Kin (PNOK) Data for Emergency Involving Married Flight Crew/Flight Deck Members" form. These are the kind of things that no one prepares you for.

I came home and found the form on the table which means it is something Glenn got at work and needs me to fill out. I'm answering questions like in the case event of death of my husband or serious injury, how would I like to be notified, who I would like present, who I would like to notify my parents and his parents, Glenn's preference in the event of fatal injuries. No one else has to think about things like this than military spouses it seems. I know it is better be prepared for the worst, but as if deployment isn't hard enough, let's bring every possible scary thought and worry about deployment and bring into our thoughts moments before they leave us.


I have no idea how to answer some of these questions or know how I am going to want to hear the worst news of my life. Would you know how?

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

After we lost our pilot on June. we wall went back and re-discussed these things... but I'm still not sure I know HOW I would want to know...

Better to be prepared! :) *Hugs*

Jen said...

I don't think there is any good way to be told news like that :( I know it's not fun to think about but don't let it get you down. Enjoy the last couple days/week with Glenn before he leaves. Hugs to you.

Annalisa said...

"My darling, it is a beautiful day. Let us stroll through the park and discuss... hmm... I know! We shall have a merry conversation in which we explore every excruciating detail of a set of circumstances the possibility of which we do not even want to acknowledge! How droll! I'll go pack our picnic lunch."

We went through something similar a couple months ago when we had our wills, springing durable powers of attorney, and advance medical directives drawn up. The process wasn't a walk in the park, but I'm glad we did it. (That said, I still haven't filled out the emergency data card we're supposed to send to the 120 skipper's wife, and I've had that for months. It just seems very avoidable since M hasn't actually flown in over a year and isn't likely to in the near future.)

Annalisa said...

Just thought of something I read the other day: I think you're right that military spouses think about stuff like this when most civilians don't give it a second thought. One woman who writes for a military spouses blog asserts that civilian couples need some kinds of reminders more than we do.

Related Posts with Thumbnails