We had a meeting last night to fill us in on all the details (as many as were available) about the voluntary evacuation. Currently, it is still voluntary, but if things continue as they are at the Fukushima plant, it may be mandatory at some point.
I went to the meeting last night with the intention of remaining in Japan. My Japanese students and friends aren't going anywhere, this is their country. I feel like we are abandoning ship and don't need to. After the meeting though, they explained that now they are being lenient with what you can bring on the planes, including pets. The planes are allowing us to bring cats and dogs so Stella can come. That means that in the future, that may not be the case. I can't risk her not being able to come with me, so I will be leaving Japan in a few days.
The are prioritizing pregnant women and small children first, then older children and lastly, people with no children. Planes should be arriving today and the first load of families being evacuated this afternoon/tonight. I have no idea where we are headed or when exactly I will leave. We are headed back to the U.S., but that is all I know.
I feel guilty leaving, but I know that everyone is leaving and it is necessary. If not for the dangers of the Fukushima plant, but for Glenn's operational readiness. It is difficult for him to complete what he has been trained to do if he is worried about Stella and I back in Japan.
I don't know when or if we will return to Japan and I am having a very difficult time packing. You know that game where they ask you what you would grab and take with you if the house were burning down? Well this is it, what is important to me? What will I take with me? What will remain? I don't know yet.
I'll post more information after the head count meeting this morning. They are suppose to have flight schedules and more information at that time.
Easy Grilled Pesto Chicken Wings
2 days ago

1 comment:
I can't imagine trying to pack without knowing how long you'll be gone. Just remember, the US has Target. Stay safe and see you soon.
Post a Comment