Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wednesday

Ann and I spent much of the day today together. A regular Wednesday for the most part. I subbed a class this morning, had lunch with Ann's Japanese friends and then we went "shopping". I came home with probably close to a hundred dollars in fruits, vegetables, cheese and dairy products. I had 4 dozen eggs at one point.

A few organizations and the Red Cross on base organized to have a pot luck for the Marines tonight who were shipped in to help with the voluntary evacuation and relief efforts. Ann and I made 2 dozen deviled eggs and a huge batch of guacamole with homemade tortilla chips (Thanks Michelle, Erinn and Ansley!). The only ingredients that were from my house were the mayo and spices. I'm not going to lie, I kind of felt like I was looting peoples house...and it was kind of fun. It was nice knowing that I don't have to buy and veggies for awhile and we were helping out the people working hard on base. Also a bonus of everyone being gone- you can actually buy things at the commissary! Like the good flavors of coffee creamer? No problem! The greek yogurt that is ALWAYS sold out? Buy two! The veggies that are usually picked over after 11 am on Tuesday morning (they are closed on Mondays to restock and open at 10 am...)? They look good!

I'm teaching my regular Thursday classes tomorrow. Life is normal here. I wonder if the people who left feel silly for leaving? I know you can't joke around with your health, but there is no radiation risk here at Atsugi. In fact, Admiral Willard is already talking about how they are going to get families back to Japan since he thinks a mandatory evacuation is unlikely.

There are 4 planes leaving tomorrow with enough seats for 690 people. That kind of movement is what people were expecting 6 days ago! Now I think more and more people are choosing to stay. I don't think they will even have enough people to fill those planes (especially with a 10 pet carrier limit per plane).  My apartment building is now empty except for me. I was walking Stella last night when taps starting playing at 10:00 pm. The base was eerily quiet.

I reread my post from last night and it was pretty downer. No wonder my friend Hillary called me this morning to make sure I was ok. I'm fine, just lonely. I wish Glenn were home. Still no update on that front. BF Ann is doing a good job filling in. Too bad her hubby is home so I have to give her back in the evenings. :)

At least I can eat my greek yogurt and look at my veggie drawer cornucopia.

2 comments:

marigirl said...

I don't feel silly for leaving. My classes are canceled, my house has no power, my husband is gone, and I'm at a point where eating contaminated food that's fine for most people would harm my baby. So....I just don't see much point in sitting around in the dark eating frozen food from the commissary.

marigirl said...

by the way, thanks for subbing for me Wednesday.

Related Posts with Thumbnails